My Sponsor - Chic Gîtes

Monday, March 26

PS

As I had suspected my "down day" yesterday was closely linked to my lack of helm
time. I returned today to huge seas and strong winds. Due to a lack of peope
on board willing or able to helm in these conditions I had a massive 2.5 hour
shift this afternoon (usually about 1 hour max) and another 1.5 hours tonight
(usually 40 mins). Absolutely amazing stuff. I hit a top speed of 25.2 knots
(about 45kmph) which is a boat record for the Pacific, and 2 minutes later an
even bigger wave crashed over the deck throwing more water at us than I have
ever seen. Imagine having a fire hose turned on you for 20 seconds and you get
the idea. When it finally stopped I had my 4 crewmates in front of me sprawled
across the deck in various posiitons. Thankfully no injuries. Size of
the waves is just straggering - well over 20m tall. Quite amazing stuff and
exactly what I came here to experience. Off now for my last 30 mnins helming of
the day and then a much deserved 3 hour sleep.

And from skipper Mark Light

“We have monstrous waves that chase down our boat and then climb up behind us, massive walls of water that break at the crest and then come hurtling down towards the back of the boat. The art is to catch one of these monsters fairly square on and with enough speed to begin the most amazing sleigh ride ever.
"The boat feels like a torpedo being fired from a submarine (which is exactly how the boat feels) as she accelerates rapidly up to a full on surf speed,” explains Mark, as his team continue their game of cat and mouse with New York. “Speeds up to 25 knots have been achieved today and in the right direction. The feeling on the helm is amazing as the stern is picked up and you stand tall looking down the entire length of the boat and watch as the bow dips at first, then literally takes off and great spumes of water are sprung up from each side of the bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment