My Sponsor - Chic Gîtes

Saturday, March 10

The Experience


Photo  - Singapore, one of our rivals, in view!


Today I had "the experience". Or maybe that should be in the present tense - today
I am having "the experience". With the adrenaline of the start line long gone
and 3 painfully long days of trying to live life below deck at 45 degrees (and
associated lack of sleep) I was starting to experience my first dip in morale.
Then this morning we woke to "The Pacific". Helming a 68 foot yacht through
huge seas (it's all relative I know and we will most probably see far bigger
seas before we reach San Fran but...) is a wonderful experience and one we
are very lucky to be living.
We have seen peak to troughs of well over 15m (an average 2 bed house is 6-7m high) rolling through one after the other as far as the eye can see but on sails Derry- London Derry relentlessly ploughs through/around/over these mountains of water with not the slightest bother.
Being at the trough and surrounded by walls of water might sound a little
daunting but no sooner has she got to the bottom, then she climbs high over
the next one over and over again. 
It's exactly what I signed up for when I chose the Pacific leg and now just 7 days in it is already living up to all my hopes. On board, morale is good. The race is going well so far - we are currently in stealth mode so don't know our exact position but hope to be in the lead pack when we resurface tomorrow.
Update - on resurfacing they are in a good 3rd place as at Sat 10th March 2pm about 60 miles from Gold Coast the leaders but on a different trajectory.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Niall, Adam Holden here. So glad that Helen has been sharing this on Facebook as I would have had no idea that you were doing this otherwise. I think this is incredible, what you are doing. Can't imagine having the courage myself, and I'm sure it will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. Hang in there, and keep the blogs going - really inspiring to follow them. Cheers from Edinburgh, where the swell is slightly shorter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, Niall is loving getting feedback and support from home. As you can probably tell from reading these updates he is having a whale of a time. Nutter!

      Delete